Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. till 5:00 p.m.
For questions in a specific area
Call 479.441.1310 and use extensions below
Civil: # 2960 or # 2959
Criminal: #2954, #2957 or #2955
Domestic Relations: #2961
Juvenile: #2953 or # 2952
Probate: #2950 or #2958
Website Usage: #2958 or #2950
Sebastian County Courts Building
901 South B Street, Rm 205
Fort Smith, AR 72901
40 South 4th Street
Fort Smith, AR 72901
301 E. Center, Room 103
Greenwood, AR 72936
The primary duties of the Circuit Clerk include filing, docketing, attending court, issuing of notices, records management, and reporting to the Administrative Office of the Courts. The Circuit Clerk is responsible for preparing a list of prospective jurors, docket cases of the respective courts, issue summonses, subpoenas, writs and warrants related to each case, attend court and swear witnesses. This office maintains records of the civil, criminal and juvenile divisions of the Courts and prepares transcripts of proceedings under appeal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Prosecuting Attorney's office?
- Court’s Building, Room 209, 2nd floor, only office on the right after you get off the elevator
How do I contact the Public Defender?
- 40 South 4th Street, Fort Smith. The phone number is 479-785-2326
Who do I contact with questions regarding a juvenile?
- You must contact the Juvenile Department at 479-783-0289. We are prohibited by State law from discussing any case filed in the Juvenile Court.
Where do I....
File/get copies of land records
File Notary Public papers
Obtain copy of birth certificate
- Circuit Clerk's office, 901 South B #205 479-782-1046 if divorced in Ft. Smith District
- If case is not open (no future court dates set) and it is more than 2 years old, contact Records Department at 479-784-1581, 40 South 4th Street, FSA.
- If Divorced in Greenwood District call 479-996-4175
- Copies are $1.00 per page if mailed and $.50 per page if picked up
Word-for-word from court proceeding.
- If a Circuit case, Circuit Clerk's office, 901 South B #205 479-782-1046
- We will only have these transcripts if the case was appealed to the Supreme Court or the Court of Appeals, otherwise you will have to contact the Court Reporter.
Pay my fine/court costs/public defender fee
- If a Circuit Court Case (felony), to the Prosecuting Attorney, 901 South B, #209 479-784-1554.
- Must pay by Money Order.
- If a District Court Case (misdemeanor) to the District Court, 901 South B, #103 479-784-2420
Pay any Drug Court assessed fees
Pay on a Hot Check
File for bankruptcy
Obtain a Criminal History Search
- You can contact the Arkansas State Police ID Bureau at 501-618-8500
- Our office does not perform Criminal Searches unless you are Petitioning the Court to Seal your record and you have the form provided by the District Court or the Circuit Clerk Office.
Petition to Seal:
To apply to have a past felony conviction sealed (expunged), complete an application for Petition to Seal and bring it, together with the accompanying letters required to the Circuit Clerk Office.
Related Petition to Seal Documentation:
Application pdf | docx
Oath pdf | docx
How do I file for divorce?
- If children are involved, it is advised you retain attorney
- If no children or property, you may obtain from our office a Divorce packet for use only in Sebastian County. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE FORMS OVER THE INTERNET!!! These forms usually do not comply with Arkansas Law
- The filing fee is $165.00
Do you have any forms?
- We have Divorce Packets ONLY for divorces that do not involve children or property. They are only for use in Sebastian County.
- We have an Answer form for use if you are served with a Summons from Circuit Court.
- Some Probate forms are available on the Administrative Office of the Court’s website http://courts.state.ar.us or our office has an ‘Affidavit for Collection of Small Estate by Distributee' form available.
I've received a Summons, what do I do?
- If you do not answer the Complaint/Petition in the time allotted (see summons for how many days) you may have a Default Judgment entered against you. We do have answer forms in our office. We are not attorneys and cannot advise you what to write on your answer form or what to do next.
I can't afford an attorney. How can I get one appointed to represent me?
- If you are charged with a criminal offense, one may be appointed for you at your arraignment. If the case is not criminal in nature, you may check with Western Arkansas Legal Services for a list of attorneys who provide Pro Bono services. Their phone number is 479-785-5211 and they are located at 901 South 21st Street, Fort Smith, AR. You must call first, they do not take walk-ins.
How can I change my name?
- You can go to www.arlegalservices.org to see a template of the Petition and Order for Name Change.
- The Petition and Order need to be on separate pieces of paper. Those are two separate documents.
- The filing fee is $165.00
How do I seal my case? Do I need an attorney?
Child Support questions....
How do I enforce child support order?
What will my ex-spouse have to pay in child support?
How do I increase/decrease amount of child support?
- You will have to re-open your case. It is best to retain an attorney, or you can go to www.arlegalservices.org to research the procedures you will need to follow to have the Court either increase or decrease your child support.
My child support is paid through the Clearinghouse, how do I contact them?
- Clearinghouse 1-800-264-2445
Judges and Division numbers
- Judge Tabor Division I
- Judge Hendricks Division II
- Judge Spears Division III
- Judge Hewett Division IV
- Judge Fitzhugh Division V
- Judge Cox Division VI